Feeling at Home in Cornwall

For the last three weeks I have explored, walked and wandered across the coast and along the hilltops of Cornwall. Before coming I was told it was the "Maldives of England" and I had my doubts as to what that would actually mean. I'm not sure I would call it the Maldives of England but it has certainly found a place in my heart. 

So far I have timed things nicely to avoid the crowds and my time in Cornwall was no exception. As I sit here writing on my last night the number of campers in the caravan park has gone from three other groups (besides me and the owners) to at least 10 families and I'm told tomorrow will be the crazy day of check ins. I'm happy to be heading north, but I'm sad to leave the coastline behind.

The roads were slightly terrifying, the wind rarely took a break, the rain made a near daily appearance, and a scarf and gloves were permanently in my backpack just in case... but I enjoyed every minute. 

Kernow, as the locals call it, was settled more than 10,000 years ago. But as the mining industry took off in the beginning of the 19th Century it started to come into its own. The copper mines, particularly along the West Coast, were some of the largest enterprises anywhere in Europe and became the forefront of the industrial revolution. 

Now, a popular destination in England particularly for families and surfers, its particularly known for the dramatic rocky coastline, spectacular beaches that have quite an intense surf, and the Cornish pasty and cream teas. Covered with National Trust Sites (a conservation society for historic places), I had endless opportunities to explore, and two visitors to do it with. 

But my favorite spot was Kynance Cove, another National Trust site a short drive from my caravan and as I discovered a great place to have a fresh crab sandwich overlooking the sea. I took both visitors there to see the cove and went back myself several evenings after work. At low tide you can walk across to a cafe and a point, but at high tide the waves crash against the rocks with pure force.

Also nearby was a local farm come tourist spot that had a nice creamed tea (tea and a scone with clotted cream and strawberry jam - the order of which should be smothered on the scone first is a hot debate between Cornwall and nearby Devon - I prefer the Cornish method of jam first). But even more importantly Roskilly's had delicious ice cream. 

As always, I have too many pictures to dwindle into one post so if you want to see more of the rugged coastline and some of my favorite spots check out the Snapshots page on this site to see the full album.

Comments