The Mysterious Stonehenge

Merlin's creation? A burial place for Danish Kings? The ruins of an ancient Roman temple? A place of healing or worship? An astronomical computer for predicting eclipses and solar events? Or a way to talk to creatures in outer space? There are a number of theories about how Stonehenge was built and why. Today, the interpretation of Stonehenge is generally as a prehistoric temple aligned with the movements of the sun. But for me, it wasn't as much about why it was there or how it got there, I revelled in the experience of seeing it up close and personal.

As a gift to myself I purchased the VIP experience, which is essentially a visit to the stones prior to the park opening. And unlike the general tourists, on this tour, you are given the opportunity to freely roam around the stones (as long as you don't touch). A guide goes with the group to answer questions or provide information as requested. On a normal day, these tours could have up to 30 people. For me, with Covid restrictions still in place and tourism low, early on a Saturday morning, I found myself on essentially a private guided tour with only 5 other people. A VIP experience to say the least.


As I was coming to expect, the weather was wet, cold and windy but I didn't even notice. I wandered for an hour taking pictures and listening on and off to what the guide had to say as well as an audio guide I had downloaded previously. With the wet weather it was easier to see the difference between the stones, the inner circle took on a blue hue. And some had hieroglyphs carved into the base as well. The ground was soft and it was hard to keep my hands to myself and not touch everything. I could easily see how it would be a spiritual experience for some. And when our time was done, instead of taking the bus back the mile I wandered back through fields exploring more of the area. 

A Brief History

Stonehenge was built in several stages: the first monument was built about 5,000 years ago, and the stone circle itself was erected in the late Neolithic period about 2500 BC. In the early Bronze Age many burial mounds were built nearby. Stonehenge was privately owned until 1918, when a local man who previously purchased Stonehenge at auction, gave it to England. Now the English Heritage and National Trust are responsible for maintaining and conserving the site and the surrounding area, which is full of historical significance. (More pictures of Stonehenge have been added to the Snapshots page on this blog)

Author's note: I suggest playing the video without sound. I didn't take the time to edit out the wind and it's pretty loud, so it's a bit distracting to have the sound on for this one.

Comments