Climbing every mountain

While I spend time in the Lakes District, Cumbria, I've been doing my best to climb and hike as much as possible. I have come to truly enjoy solo hiking. I go where I want, when I want and it means I can avoid the crowds. But I also recognize the dangers in it so I try to be as careful as possible, particularly considering that before this year my hikes generally consisted of walking through a parking garage to a grocery store. So to say I'm experienced is a stretch. But the exercise, fresh air, independence and the views make it all my new favorite hobby.

At the top of Old Man Coniston

Armed with new hiking shoes that I've slowly been breaking in, sometimes on just a walk to the end of the block and back, I have a go-bag for my hiking gear. Here's what I take:

Waterproof jacket (with hood), camera, granola bar for a snack, sunglasses (hopeful thinking that the sun will come out), a detailed terrain map, my phone fully charged and loaded with MapMe and What Three Words, ear buds, ear warmer and gloves, sunscreen, antibacterial gel, hat, neck scarf, N95 mask and a water pack. What I use on the hike... generally the rain jacket and my camera. 

Well, that's not entirely true. After my hike up Old Man Coniston, I quickly realized I'm not above getting a walking stick. What I discovered is that coming down a steep mountain with scree just isn't possible on my knees any more. So I may look like an old lady walking with one, but at least I won't look like an old lady hobbling around for days after a hike.

Next up if all goes well, the highest mountain in England, Scafell Pike.

Comments