Look out my turn!

If I thought London roads were tricky, I wasn't prepared for the twisting, winding, incredibly narrow roads of Cornwall and the Lake District. I was warned about the roads, but I had driven on the winding lanes in New Zealand, how bad could it be.

Ha! I was wrong. Anything less than a motorway or highway is essentially a one-lane road that requires concentration and staying alert for cars coming around a hedge or bend at full-speed straight on. This is like a combination of racecar driving and a game of chicken at the same time. (Pictured is a two-way road in Cornwall with high hedges on both sides) 

But to my pleasant surprise, every car isn't out to get you. Unlike driving in the States where everyone only seems to be focused on their own end goal, these drivers are kind and pleasant and I rarely come across one that doesn't give a polite wave of thanks when you slide out of the way. It's a lot more like driving on dirt roads back home and it makes me happy to be a part of it. (I'm also still thankful I have full coverage on my car so that when I scrape against the bushes and weeds I don't have to worry about the scratches.)

Comments