Making connections

The most wonderful thing about my friends and family is the incredible connections everyone makes. And when you meet a good group of people, they are usually happy to introduce you to other like-minded people. I assume this is true in any circle, or maybe it's just me. 

I genuinely enjoy the experience of hearing someone else's stories, their perspective and their experiences in this crazy world. And on this trip of sorts I've been on, I've been fortunate enough to meet a lot of people on my way, but also have the joy of friends and visitors. 

After I left the Kenning's house in Matlock, Nicky introduced me to her friend in the Lakes District to get a local perspective on the walks in the area. In a stroke of luck, Sandy happened to live just five doors down from where I was staying in the Lake District and when you consider how large the region is it's a one of those crazy coincidences that happen sometimes.  

Sandy, who is a retired microbiologist is very active walker, bird watcher and environmentalist volunteering with the National Parks and serving as a walking guide for the area (all of this was put at a bit of a halt during Covid). She offered to let me join her and her dog Cary's (pronounced Care-iss) on a few morning walks in the area. I was in Heaven... well, except for the fact that she put my athleticism to shame as I had trouble keeping up her on the trails.

Morning walks in the Lakes District

Sandy grew up in the South of the UK and travelled quite a bit for work, knew so much about the flora and fauna of the area as well as the history. I learned to recognize some of the flowers, plants, trees and birds as we walked. I heard about the historical significance of the area and how they invented and manufactured "bouncing bombs" to bounce across the water and destroy dams during World War II. We walked up to a lookout tower where they watched for any approaching enemy aircraft and if spotted, knew exactly how long they had to evacuate the area. It was like having a private tour guide every morning and I felt so spoiled!

Looking out over the valley near Backbarrow

Comments